Tuesday, May 7, 2013

My Favorite Toonami Promos/Intros, Pt. 1: Dragonball Z Android Saga Intro (2000)

Every Toonami fan has at least one promo or intro that is forever in their heart as something that they enjoy deeply. I have more than one of those, many in fact, so I decided to have a series of posts, each highlighting a specific promo/intro that has stuck with me for a long while.

My first is probably one of the most well-known Toonami Intros ever: the intro shown during the Android Saga of Dragonball Z in 2000. Dragonball Z was at a huge peak in popularity during this time, so the intro has stuck around in many people's memories. It stuck with me due it being part of the only thing my family recorded from Toonami on VHS tapes: the end of the Cell Games Saga, as my dad was a huge fan and was working evening shifts that week. Anyway, here it is:

 

Music: "Heavy" by Joe Boyd Vigil
So, why is this intro so darn awesome? I think because of its nice, fast pace, along with the alarm-like music that in a way reflects the "imminent threat" feel of the Android saga. Also, it premiered not very long before the Intruder TIE, so "Heavy" also fits really well with that.

Here's a little bonus I found on Youtube courtesy of DuelstG, starting at the 3:00 mark:

It's a TOM 1 (Pre-Intruder) version of the intro! This is probably the first time it has been posted onto the internet, so it's a real great find. It's really fun to think that there are still parts from Toonami's history that haven't seen the light of day on the Web, and this proves it.

No comments:

Post a Comment